You will acquire citizenship automatically if you were born to an Australian Citizen or permanent resident. In other cases, you must apply for Australian citizenship. There are two ways of gaining Australian citizenship:
- Citizenship by Descent or Adoption
- Citizenship by Conferral
Citizenship by Descent or Adoption
You may be eligible for Australian citizenship by descent or adoption if:
- Your parent lost their citizenship before 4 April 2002
- One of your parents was an Australian citizen before you were born; and
- You were born outside of Australia
- One of your adoptive parents must be an Australian citizen when you were adopted; and
- Adoption must be done in accordance with Hague convention or a bilateral arrangement.
- If your parents became an Australian citizen by decent or adoption, they must have stayed lawfully in Australia for at least two years.
Citizenship by Conferral – Requirements
Eligibility requirements for Citizenship by Conferral are as below:
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You are a permanent resident of Australia or eligible New Zealand citizen.
- You have been a permanent resident for at least 1 year
- You have been in Australian lawfully for at least 4 years
- You have basic knowledge of the English language and Knowledge of Australia.
- You must pass a written test about Australian and its people, Australia’s democratic beliefs, rights and liberties and Government and the law in Australia
- You are of good character
- You are not absent for a period totalling up to 12 months in the 4 years and not more than 3 months in 12 months before your application.
- There is some exception which can be discussed with Registered Migration agent if you may not meet all requirements as stated above.
There are some other pathways to become Australian citizen and can be discussed with Indeedvisa Registered Migration Agent.
Get In Touch
Perth, Western Australia
1. My experience with indeed visa is good. I applied for my student visa renewal and I got. very helpful. - Mandeep Cheema
2. We used Indeedvisa to complete my partners visa application. Chandan was very knowledgeable and made the process stress free. - Paul White
3. Indeedvisa is a very good migration agency. I visited Chandan many times regarding my partner visa. He is very knowledgeable, polite and excellent Registered Migration Agent. I will highly recommend him for any migration related queries. - Flora Tindo
4. Cheers for all help, I'd say I have found (Chandan) Indeedvisa very good migration agency to deal with very helpful, fast, thorough knowledge and efficient. They made the whole process less stressful and giving full details of kind of documents that shall be required at each stage.
Thanks for all advise and with ease they made clear application of my partner visa for my wife and child.
Consultancy charges are economical and competent better than many other agencies. Much appreciated. - Absaar Ahmed Khan
Need a Consultation?
If you would like to process your visa application, the best way to start the process is to have a consultation with
one of our experienced registered migration agents.